On 20 Sep 2015, at 18:00, Martin Alfke <tux...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 19 Sep 2015, at 21:14, rhpuppetu...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Thanks Martin for replying. By the way, i'm following your seminars on
>> youtube and they are very helpful. The error still persists.
>>
>> I've tried this earlier but command failed with the following error.
>> # puppetserver gem install pg --no-ri --no-rdoc
>> Building native extensions. This could take a while...
>> ERROR:  Error installing pg:
>>                ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>>
>>              java -jar /usr/share/puppetserver/puppet-server-release.jar -r
>> ./siteconf20150919-17955-hjabmk.rb extconf.rb
>>
>> Error(s) occured while parsing command-line arguments: Unknown option: "-r"
>>
>> <--- some options ---->
>>
>> extconf failed, uncaught signal 1
>>
>> <--- some output 2 lines —>
>
> Seems to be a bug.
> I can reproduce this error on Debian 7 with puppetserver 2.1.1
>
> I have opened a ticket at PuppetLabs:
> https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/SERVER-905

I love PuppetLabs guys for their fast feedback and detailed descriptions:
Quoting Chris:
"I think this is probably expected behavior; Puppet Server runs JRuby, and
JRuby doesn't support gems with native extensions. For most of the common gems
that fall into this category, there is a suitable alternative that does work
with JRuby. You can find general docs on this subject on the JRuby wiki, here:
https://github.com/jruby/jruby/wiki/C-Extension-Alternatives
It looks like, for pg, they're recommending the
activerecord-jdbcpostgresql-adapter instead. Maybe that will be sufficient for
your use case?"

In your case: puppetserver works as expected.
I will close the ticket with PL.