On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 1:45 AM, Thomas Müller <tho...@chaschperli.ch>
wrote:

> I suspect the yumrepo type removes lines not provided in the puppet
> manifest.

I also use this same formula for several other Yum repos, such as
mysql-community, EPEL, Software Collections and Repoforge. Yumrepo doesn't
remove lines in these other cases, so I'm pretty sure it isn't removing
lines for these Remi repositories either.

> Why would you wan't to manage the yumrepo file with puppet if its already
> installed by the remo-release rpm?

The 'remi-release' RPM provides most of what I need, such as the base .repo
files, the yum keys, etc. However, I also want to tweak a few settings--
I'd like to enable and disable certain repos, and set their Priority for
yum-priorities. This is a pretty common thing to do with Yum.

You might wonder why do I not use `yumrepo` exclusively? I prefer to follow
a principle of least change for my systems. Since the RPM does most of the
automation for me, I'd prefer to use that and use `yumrepo` to apply the
smallest number of changes that I need. If the upstream vendor makes
changes to their repositories, a new RPM will apply those changes. I've
been bitten by a few Puppet Forge modules where the `yumrepo` definitions
didn't stay up to date with the upstream vendor's changes.

Thanks,

-= Stefan

--
Stefan Lasiewski                         Email: stef...@nersc.gov
Computer System Engineer III    Email: slasiew...@lbl.gov

National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center (NERSC
<http://nersc.gov>)
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory