On Tuesday, December 22, 2015 at 9:50:37 AM UTC-6, red 888 wrote:

> Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
>
> It seems like Puppet isn't the right tool for what I want to accomplish or
> I will have to wait for native full featured Cisco support.
>
> I think my confusion came from the notion that extending puppet in this
> way was a simple end usery task.

Puppet's end users are generally sysadmins, so what is simple and end-usery
for them is not necessarily very simple in an absolute sense.  Even so, I'm
not sure how you got the notion you describe.  I've always found Puppet DSL
to be fairly easy to *use*, but writing extensions is developing for
Puppet, not using it, and Puppet's native language is Ruby.  Perhaps you
fell victim to precisely the misconception that I just denounced: that
Puppet's language is some oddball form of scripting language.  As I said,
it isn't.

> I thought, for example, if I wanted to push out an EIGRP message digest
> configuration (currently puppet device can't do this out of the box) I
> could plug in my own code/ios commands *somewhere *and refer to it in my
> module the same way I do other "resources'" like this (sloppy pseudo code):
>
> keychain {
>   name => chainName
>   keynumber => 5
>   key-string => zzzzzzzz
> }
>
> interface {
>   'GigabitEthernet 0/1':
>     description => $interface_description_lan
>   eigrp keychain {
>     as => 123
>     name => chainName
>   }
> }

No.  Each resource type has a specific set of attributes that it supports,
each with specific semantics.  In this sense (and in most others) Puppet
resource types are much closer analogs to Java or C++ classes than Puppet
classes are.

> But, if I understand what you are saying, that would require a great deal
> of coding.  Being that I am not a ruby dev this would probably be a waste
> of my time.

I don't know exactly how much "a great deal" of coding would be to you, but
the amount involved is certainly a lot more than zero, and in addition to
Ruby issues, there would be the learning curve specific to Puppet
development.  I imagine the end result would have at least a few hundred
lines of Ruby code (but having done that once and gotten it working, you
could reuse it widely).  If you were looking for something you could do in
a Monday morning, then no, I don't think this is it.

On the other hand, if configuring EIGRP digest parameters is something you
imagine others might want to do too, then you should consider filing a
feature request ticket.

BTW, do you plan to delete your SO question on this topic?  It would be a
waste for me to write an answer there if you're just going to delete the
question.

John