On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 8:20 AM, Tiago Delboni <delb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> With parser=future it doesn't complain about the escape sequence, but
> keeps creating the package every run. :(
>
> Copying the accented character to the manifest does not work (tried many
> ways).
>

> Em sexta-feira, 8 de janeiro de 2016 13:38:25 UTC-2, Henrik Lindberg
> escreveu:
>
>> On 2016-08-01 14:23, Tiago Delboni wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > On Windows 7 we have Puppet 4.2.x and, in order to deal with accented
>> > characters commonly found in registry key DisplayName, we use unicode
>> > escape sequences in our manifests such as "\u00FA".
>> >
>> > However, on Windows XP,  we couldn't install Puppet 4.2.x so we use
>> > 3.8.x instead. When running the same manifest with escape sequences,
>> > Puppet complains: "Unrecognised escape sequence '\u' in file ...".
>> >
>> Have you tried using 3.8.x with parser=future turned on? That would give
>> you support for \u the same way as in puppet 4.x.
>>
>> > Puppet 3.8.x documentation states that it "treats strings as sequences
>> > of bytes. It does not recognize encodings or translate between them,
>> and
>> > non-printing characters are preserved."
>> >
>> Yes, when you get the waring for \u, it means there will be a literal
>> backslash and a literal u in the resulting string. (That is with the
>> regular parser since it (as it says) does not support the \u escape for
>> unicode chars).
>>
>> > So, how can I deal with software that have accented characters in their
>> > DisplayName? Assuming that registry's encoding is the same on WXP and
>> > W7, I could probably make it work by using Puppet 4.2.x on Windows XP,
>> > but I just don't know how to install it successfully.
>> >

>> Use puppet 3.8.x (latest) as noted above. The other approach (ugly, and
>> horrible work around) is to simply copy/paste the actual character into
>> the source file, but that is not guaranteed to work for all characters.
>>
>> Hope that helps
>> - henrik
>>
>> > --
>> >
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/12713369-5970-4a43-804a-ca57a400afd0%40googlegroups.com
>> > <
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/12713369-5970-4a43-804a-ca57a400afd0%40googlegroups..com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

>> --
>>
>> Visit my Blog "Puppet on the Edge"
>> http://puppet-on-the-edge.blogspot.se/
>>
>> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/6084ba68-3ac0-458a-ab7c-292d11663e6b%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/6084ba68-3ac0-458a-ab7c-292d11663e6b%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Puppet 3.8.x ships with ruby 1.9.3 (32-bit) and 2.0.0 (64-bit), both of
which use ANSI versions of Win32 registry APIs (and not the wide/unicode
versions). Puppet uses those methods to scan the registry looking for
installed applications, and is likely the cause for the problem you're
seeing. See
https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-2937?focusedCommentId=87973&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-87973
for more information.

Puppet 4.x ships with ruby 2.1.x, which switched to using wide versions of
the registry APIs, so I think that's why it's working in that case.

Josh

--
Josh Cooper
Developer, Puppet Labs