Warron

Use the operatingsystemrelease fact and decide the hash to use based on
that.

It will spit out something like 10_u9 by reading /etc/release. This isn't
too bad, but if you patch a server built as u9 with a current patch set,
the actual OS will be u11 no matter what /etc/release says, so beware

You can look at projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/11082 you can see the
mapping between 1/06 (I hear ya) and the update number. There is a link to
the Oracle document that maps that out too

John

On Thursday, 11 February 2016, Warron French <warron.fre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello, I was hoping someone could help with answering this question, for
> the following scenario.
>
> On our network we have some OLD ( I mean 1/06, up to 1/09) Solaris 10
> SPARC servers and workstations along with newer Solaris 10 SPARC servers
> (running even the lastest revisions, like 1/13); and we have CentOS servers
> and workstations.
>
> The password hashing algorithm is different between the OLD Solaris 10
> SPARC servers and workstations versus the newer *recently rebuilt* Solaris
> 10 1/13 SPARC servers and workstations; the *older ones *run with *MD5*
> for password hashing, we don't want that.  Even some of the Solaris 10
> machines that running the newer Solaris 10 1/13 (build a couple of years
> ago) might be running with the MD5 hashing algorithm.  *All* of our
> CENTOS systems though, thank goodness, are running with the sha-512 (yay!).
>

> Anyway, we have a potential project to use puppet to populate/generate *LOCAL
> *(not AD/LDAP) accounts across all of our systems and want our passwords
> for each of the accounts added to be the same; but of course, if the
> *password* attribute given to the *user* resource in the puppet code is
> of an incorrect hash-type, then that account will not work properly.
>
> That is why I am asking for help, to achieve this particular goal.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Warron

> .
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/ccd6ba2d-6f0e-45b7-9946-e99ec9cd78fe%40googlegroups.com