They would not likely have covered Rspec in Puppet Fundamentals, if you
took that. Rspec is a Ruby testing framework, and most of the Puppet
testing tools out there are based on it.

And I think your challenge you mention isn't uncommon. A lot of sysadmins
can write scripts but don't have experience with engineering practices,
like writing tests. It's a new way of looking at things.

The upside is that these kinds of skills are in demand, and in demand at
the more interesting shops out there to work at. So it's definitely in your
benefit to work through this and learn some new things :) Hang in there.

Rich