On 08/03/16 15:15, Rudy Gevaert wrote:

    Just wondering what others have done and what approaches they have
    taken to solve this issue? Maybe there is some feature of git I am
    not aware of where I can systematically pick what to merge and what
    not (although if that was possible I can see it being very confusing).

Hi Matthew,

I haven't tried it, but have you looked at the new feature in puppet 4
which allows you to store hiera data in modules?
  https://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/latest/reference/lookup_quick_module.html

Here you can define a hierachy in the module itselve. If you tie it to
the environment variable you can keep it sane I think.

There is no good way of tagging a branch/environment with meta data without actually changing things in the environment (that I know of) - it would be great if we could, without touching anything in the environment state that it is for "development", "testing" etc.

What you can do is to construct your hierarchy in the environment such that if a data file is present it will do an override of the production value(s). You also add a .gitignore on that file. It will never be checked in, so as long as you are developing on the branch you will get the values overridden for development, but there is no risk of it leaking into production branches.

You naturally check in the .gitignore.

If you want to automate that, you can write a rake task or similar to write the file. You can check that in so you don't have to manually remember what to override and how.

- henrik

--

Visit my Blog "Puppet on the Edge"
http://puppet-on-the-edge.blogspot.se/