fact parsing was a problem with a template not the hiera code.

The only way I get this working is if I do a lookup in a profile manifest
of the main hash,  then reference that variable back in hiera.

This seems wrong, and coupled,  and flakey,  which is why it's listed as a
bad practice on the puppetlabs documentation.

However,  apparently we did this another time trying to solve the same
problem.

In software, seeming to be forced into an anti-pattern twice would indicate
there is a better design.   If anyone has any thoughts here - we want to
hear it!   Either that or we need a different hiera function for this.

On Tuesday, 22 March 2016 16:33:57 UTC-6, Brett Swift wrote:

> Well that's what I've been going off, but I haven't figured out the right
> syntax.
>
> I've tried escaping the nested single quotes.. no luck.
>
> One strange thing right now is I can't even interpolate facts.
>
> ---
> test: "%{::hostname}"
>
>  is failing on a lookup.  hmm.
>

> On Tuesday, 22 March 2016 16:00:12 UTC-6, Carthik Sharma wrote:
>>
>> This might help:
>>
>> https://docs.puppetlabs.com/hiera/3.1/variables.html#interpolating-hash-or-array-elements
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Brett Swift <brett...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This is a bit nutty, but hopefully there's a way to do this.
>>>
>>> So far I have only been able to get the parent hash, not the nested one.
>>>

>>> The reason I don't want to do this in a manifest,  is because I'd like
>>> to use pieces of this hash within hiera itself.
>>>
>>> This gist is what I'm trying to do:
>>> https://gist.github.com/brettswift/560af53d379e0d86730c
>>>
>>> pasted here:
>>> group_allocation:
>>> devcoreoeml030.matrix.sjrb.ad: smokestack
>>> devcorebrml030.matrix.sjrb.ad: smokestack
>>> devcoreesbl030.matrix.sjrb.ad: smokestack
>>> devcoreoeml091.matrix.sjrb.ad: the091
>>> devcorebrml091.matrix.sjrb.ad: the091
>>> devcoreesbl091.matrix.sjrb.ad: the091
>>> devcorepptl003.matrix.sjrb.ad: dev_master
>>> tstcorepptl003.matrix.sjrb.ad: tst_master
>>> devcorepptl918.matrix.sjrb.ad: brett_sandbox
>>> devcorepptl919.matrix.sjrb.ad: brett_sandbox
>>> groups:
>>> core030: