On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 7:56 AM, Mike Sharpton <sharpt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Note sure if they changed the path with 1.4.1.  The path used to be what
> is below.  May want to try that.

Just to confirm, we haven't changed the location of where puppet.conf goes.

> C:\programdata\PuppetLabs\puppet\etc

Yep that's the one. Note C:\ProgramData is by default hidden.

Also you can ask puppet where it thinks its puppet.conf should be (so you
can be sure you're editing the same file that the agent will read):

C:\>puppet agent --configprint config
C:/ProgramData/PuppetLabs/puppet/etc/puppet.conf

Note if you are running puppet not elevated, it will attempt to use the
per-user location:

C:\>puppet agent --configprint config
C:/Users/<user>/.puppetlabs/etc/puppet/puppet.conf

> On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 9:38:20 AM UTC-5, Mattis Haase wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> we have been using puppet for unix machines for quite a while and it
>> works fine.
>>
>> I have installed the latest puppet-agent (1.4.1) on Windows Server
>> 2012R2. The installation went fine and the communication between the
>> puppetmaster and the client works.
>>
>> However, it uses the production environment, ignoring the environment
>> setting in:
>>
>> c:\program files\puppet labs\puppet\etc\puppet.conf
>>

>> It is worth noting that this folder did originally not exist. The folder
>> for the conf files was:
>>
>> c:\program files\puppet labs\puppet\puppet\conf
>>

>> However, all documentation points torwards the first folder. I put the
>> same puppet conf into these three folders:
>>
>> c:\program files\puppet labs\puppet\puppet\conf
>> c:\program files\puppet labs\puppet\puppet\etc
>> c:\program files\puppet labs\puppet\etc
>>

>> The contents of the file are this:
>>
>> # This file can be used to override the default puppet settings.
>> # See the following links for more details on what settings are available:
>> # -
>> https://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/latest/reference/config_important_settings.html
>> # -
>> https://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/latest/reference/config_about_settings.html
>> # -
>> https://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/latest/reference/config_file_main.html
>> # -
>> https://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/latest/reference/configuration.html
>> [main]
>> server=puppetmaster.develop.local
>> environment=develop
>>

>> However, it still tries to pull from the production environment.
>>

>> puppet.bat agent --configprint environment
>> production
>>

>> I restarted the service, to no avail.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/51f8bdbc-875e-44a5-bbbf-4014e31b3ebc%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-users/51f8bdbc-875e-44a5-bbbf-4014e31b3ebc%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>