Currently i'm using Vagrant and bash scripts to provision a local dev
environment. I'm working on moving this to Puppet and running into an issue
with creating a symlink to my apache document root that I cant seem to sort
out.

These are the commands in the bash script i'm trying replace/replicate

    sudo rm -rf /var/www/html
    sudo ln -s /vagrant/public /var/www/html

in my puppet manifest I have the following

file{ 'docroot':
 path => '/var/www/html',
 ensure => absent,
 purge => true,
 recurse => true,
 force => true,
}

file{ '/vagrant/public':
 ensure => link,
 force => true,
 target => '/var/www/html',
 require => File['docroot'],
}

The output when the manifist runs is
==> default: Debug: /Stage[main]/Main/File[docroot]: Removing existing
directory for replacement with absent
==> default: Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/File[docroot]/ensure: removed
==> default: Debug: /Stage[main]/Main/File[docroot]: The container docroot
will propagate my refresh event
==> default: Debug: /Stage[main]/Main/File[/var/www/html/index.html]:
Nothing to manage: no ensure and the resource doesn't exist
==> default: Debug: docroot: The container Class[Main] will propagate my
refresh event
==> default: Info: /Stage[main]/Main/File[/vagrant/public]: Recursively
backing up to filebucket
==> default: Debug: /Stage[main]/Main/File[/vagrant/public]: Removing
existing directory for replacement with link
==> default: Info: /Stage[main]/Main/File[/vagrant/public]: Recursively
backing up to filebucket
==> default: Debug: /Stage[main]/Main/File[/vagrant/public]: Removing
existing directory for replacement with /var/www/html
==> default: Error: Could not remove existing file
==> default: Error: /Stage[main]/Main/File[/vagrant/public]/ensure: change
from directory to link failed: Could not remove existing file

Which seems to indicate it couldn't remove a file... /var/www/html did have
an index.html file in it. With Purge => true and ensure => absent the
index.html and the html folder its self are both gone as expected.  Yet I
still get the could not remove existing file message while trying to create
the link.

I have tried setting ensure=> directory in File[ 'docroot' ] to leave an
empty html directory and still get the same error.  So clearly i'm doing
something wrong...  any help would be apprichated.  Thanks.