I'm stepping through "Learning Puppet 4", and I ran into an error following
steps in the book, and I want to understand what went wrong before I report
it.

The section in question is "Using Puppet EPP Templates" in chapter 13.

I'll work backwards from the error I'm getting, showing the relevant files
afterwards.  Here is what I see when I apply the manifest:
[vagrant@client puppet]$ sudo puppet apply --environment test manifests/
Warning: Unknown variable: '::puppet::common_loglevel'. at /etc/puppetlabs/
code/environments/test/modules/puppet/templates/puppet.conf.epp:3:21
Warning: Unknown variable: 'puppet::agent_loglevel'. at /etc/puppetlabs/code
/environments/test/modules/puppet/templates/puppet.conf.epp:7:7
Warning: Unknown variable: '::puppet::server'. at /etc/puppetlabs/code/
environments/test/modules/puppet/templates/puppet.conf.epp:10:18
Warning: Unknown variable: 'puppet::apply_loglevel'. at /etc/puppetlabs/code
/environments/test/modules/puppet/templates/puppet.conf.epp:14:7
Notice: Compiled catalog for client.example.com in environment test in 0.04
seconds
Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/File[/etc/puppetlabs/puppet/puppet.conf]/content:
content changed '{md5}a72aadac19feefd06f10fb6b8f90c5f4' to
'{md5}0f89a3d91b54aec8463b4a250a493f36'
Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/File[/etc/puppetlabs/puppet/puppet.conf]/owner:
owner changed 'vagrant' to 'root'
Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/File[/etc/puppetlabs/puppet/puppet.conf]/group:
group changed 'vagrant' to 'wheel'
Notice: /Stage[main]/Main/File[/etc/puppetlabs/puppet/puppet.conf]/mode:
mode changed '0664' to '0644'
Notice: Applied catalog in 0.06 seconds
[vagrant@client puppet]$

The template in question, right from the book, is this:

# Generated by Puppet EPP template processor
[master]
    log_level = <%= $::puppet::common_loglevel %>

# This is used by "puppet agent"
[agent]
<% if $puppet::agent_loglevel != undef { -%>
    log_level = <%= $::puppet::agent_loglevel %>
<% } -%>
    server = <%= $::puppet::server %>

# This is used for "puppet apply"
[user]
<% if $puppet::apply_loglevel != undef { -%>
    log_level = <%= $::puppet::apply_loglevel %>
<% } -%>

Likely the most important piece to see now is the part of the "init.pp"
manifest that declares the parameters being referenced here:

class puppet(
  $version         = 'latest',
  $status          = 'running',
  $enabled         = true,

*$server          = 'puppet.example.com',  $common_loglevel = 'warning',
$agent_loglevel  = undef,  $apply_loglevel  = undef,*
) {

I imagine the syntax of the variable references in the EPP file have to be
slightly different, but I have no idea what it should be.

I also find it curious that the error messages print the name of the
variable differently for different messages, sometimes prefixed with "::"
and sometimes not.  Any background that would explain that?