I'm excited to announce a new batch of backwards-compatible feature releases
for the Puppet Agent and Server.  There's a lot to take in here, so check out
the release notes and take the code for a test-drive before you yell out
"YOLO!" and upgrade all of production.

Puppet Server 2.4.0 - A slew of bugfixes and an enhancement to the
trapperkeeper auth.conf implementation that allows you to use certificate
extensions in your auth.conf rules. So for example you can assign your trusted
management nodes a certificate that contains new authorization extensions
indicating they ought to have higher privilege, then match those extensions in
the rules that permit cert management or catalog request commands, avoiding the
need to keep a list of privileged hostnames in your auth.conf.
Check out the full release notes here:
https://docs.puppet.com/puppetserver/latest/release_notes.html
<https://docs.puppet.com/puppetserver/latest/release_notes.html>

Puppet Agent 1.5.0 - All-in-one Agent package contains updated component
versions, including a new feature release of Puppet.
  * Ruby 2.1.9 update
  * Puppet 4.5.0 - Also primarily a bugfix release, with improvements in the
type system and a few hotly awaited fixes for systemd and the DNF package
manager. The release notes mention new functions (including a function named
"new") that needs
  * Facter 3.1.7 - Bugfixes for GCE and one particularly nasty recursion /
fork-bomb that could happen if facter was invoked from inside a fact (I know...)
  * Hiera 3.2.0 - There's a backwards-compatible change that moves the default
location of hiera.yaml out of the 'codedir' and back into 'config'. Read up on
the backstory at HI-490 or on the puppet-dev thread[1], but the tl;dr is that
we realized having this file (whose contents are frequently managed by puppet)
inside the code dir (which is managed by r10k) was a mistake, and this change
unwinds that, hopefully without introducing any additional badness.
Release notes for each of these are linked from the main puppet-agent note:
https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/4.5/reference/release_notes_agent.html
<https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/4.5/reference/release_notes_agent.html>

Special community shout-out to Matthew Gyurgyik (whose name I admit i
copy-pasted from JIRA) for working through the systemd issues!

Eric Sorenson - eric.soren...@puppet.com <mailto:eric.soren...@puppet.com> -
freenode #puppet: eric0
puppet platform // coffee // techno // bicycles

[1]: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/puppet-dev/NQBK0vdp2E0/discussion
<https://groups.google.com/d/topic/puppet-dev/NQBK0vdp2E0/discussion>