I just set this up myself. You need to create your environments directory
structures is you haven't already.

/etc/puppet/environment/{dev|prod)/(manifests|modules|environment.conf|hierdata)

Hope you understand that. Then you need to change your puppet.conf on the
master. Add these lines under main

environmentpath = $confdir/environments
basemodulepath = $confdir/modules:/opt/puppet/share/puppet/modules

Then under each environement, add this to environment.conf

modulepath = $confdir/environments/development/modules:$basemodulepath
manifest = $confdir/environments/development/manifests/

Now on your agents, just add a line like this under main

environment = development or environment = production.

Now when you run the agent(s), it should pull the data from under the
environements manifests directory.