To your specific issue, it looks like your agent's CA cert doesn't match the
issuer of the new puppetmaster's CA cert ("unable to get local issuer
certificate"). If I recall correctly, an agent without a CA cert will download
one from the puppetmaster the first time and thereafter check it. You might
check the cert chains to see what's going on, or if you downloaded the CA cert
at all.

Otherwise I noticed this bit:

# rpm -rf /var/lib/puppet/ssl /etc/puppet/ssl /etc/puppetlabs/puppet/ssl
# ssh puppet puppet cert list host.internal.net
Error: Could not find a certificate for host.internal.net

Is it supposed to say rpm not rm? I Presume it's just the logging which is
removing the quotes too.

Rhubarbing more generally, I had some success syncing the ssl directory during
our own 3->4 update. I never found a reason to use a new cert for the same host
when I already had one.

file { '/etc/puppetlabs/puppet/ssl':
  ensure       => directory,
  backup       => false,
  recurse      => true,
  recurselimit => 99,
  require      => Package[$package],
  source       => '/var/lib/puppet/ssl',
}

The catalog with that class was only a during-update thing, of course.

if versioncmp($::puppetversion, '4.0.0') >= 0 {
  include "role::${::stype}"
}
else {
  include ::puppet_upgrade
}

Otherwise you could:

rsync -a --delete /var/lib/puppet/ssl /etc/puppetlabs/puppet/