Many thanks for the re-signing of the CA idea.

I can report that it worked for me, although I had to run the webrick
version of puppetmaster to regenerate the puppet master's certificate.

Since I have a full mcollective deployment as well, I was able to use the
following steps to automate the cert regen on my clients:

puppet cert clean <host>
mco puppet resource exec "/bin/rm -rf /var/lib/puppet/ssl/*" -W fqdn=<host>
mco puppet runonce -W fqdn=<host>
puppet cert sign <host>

I think I'll run a nightly cron job off my puppet server to search for
certificate files that are within 14 days of expiring, and auto-regen them
using this method.