Thanks for your reply.  We based our initial design on shit Gary says.
 This may be our only option as you say, to have hiera data changes made to
each static branch/puppet environment by hand and not merge.  We need the
static branches for separation of Puppet environments.  Problem with this
approach is humans will make errors between each branch sometimes or
always.  The branches/environments will eventually become snow flakes over
time as far as Hieradata.  Perhaps we can possibly merge them weekly to
lower this risk.  Assuming no code changes are in flight, which there most
likely always will be.  The search continues. Thanks again,

Mike