As Rob Nelson mentioned above, you can differentiate between operational
environments in Hiera as long as you have the appropriate facts available.

If you differentiate Puppet environments and operational environments, then
it's easier to address staged rollouts in each appropriate context. Staged
rollouts of changes across *operational* environments may be done through
Hiera, and staged rollouts of Puppet code (usually common Puppet code that
cuts across operational environments) can be done through *Puppet*
environments.

If your environment is simple enough...such as a single app with dev,
staging, and production operational environments, then equating a Puppet
environment to an operational environment is that much of an issue. For
more complex Puppet setups, equating them always creates issues IMHO.

This topic is really interesting to me since I've run into it multiple
times, the last being very recent.