We're still running puppet 3.6.2, and are finally getting around to trying to
implement R10K. For assorted reasons, we have not been able to do this before
now, and have a very large stack of home-grown modules that are all sitting in
a monolithic repo. For the most part, it's been straightforward. We are
splitting up the modules into their own repos, tagging them with version
numbers, etc. But I've now hit an issue that's got me blocked.

We have several modules that include important data files inside them. (Which
is bad practice, I know, but many of these were written a while ago and we're
slowly working to refactor.)
In our current, monolithic setup, they reside in paths like this:
git/puppet/environments/production_ng/modules/$MODULE/files/customers/$FILENAME

Each $FILENAME must be pushed out, with that name and it's contents, to a
particular directory on the machine using the module. The files contain
anywhere from ten to a hundred lines of config, varying per customer. At the
moment, we push them using a recursive file resource into the directory.

Under r10k, we want to use tags to mark version numbers and pull them into
environments. But these config files need to change rapidly, and would result
in ridiculous version creep if we increment every time we had to adjust one of
them. What is a good way to deal with data files like this (ones where putting
the contents into hiera is not really viable)? How do I treat them under R10K?

--
Robert Davidson