If I understand correctly, I think this is as much of a gnome/kde
question as a puppet one.

GNOME

To set a login message for gnome you can use gsettings:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Desktop_Migration_and_Administration_Guide/customizing-login-screen.html#displaying-text-banner

To make gsettings changes via puppet there is this module that I haven't
used:
https://github.com/camptocamp/puppet-gnome

KDE

For KDE it seems to be set in kdmrc. Look at the manual around
GreetString and related options. Use file_line or something, probably.

Christopher