Cross-posting from Puppet Developers to get a wider audience.

Hello All,

I'm updating a module that will require a ruby gem (e.g. xml-simple) for
one of the custom providers. How does Puppet make sure that the gem is
available and installed when the module is installed? Does a *puppet module
install* also install any dependent gems? How does it know which gems are
needed to install? To where does Puppet install gems?

Or is there something else that consumers of my module will need to do to
ensure that the gems are available before they try to use the module's
resources?

I tried searching both this group and Puppet Users but didn't find much.
May be the key-words aren't right.

I saw/found this PR (https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/pull/4220)  which
shows a module which requires a gem; but when i try this i still get the
error:

Could not autoload puppet/provider/aem_crx_package/ruby: cannot load such
file -- xmlsmiple

I've tried the following:

1) Installing the gem with puppetserver gem install and restarting the
master
2) Installing it using the gem command in the puppserver bin directory
directly (which does not install it to the same place as #1)
3) Specifying package (type gem) on the *master* like the example in the PR
link
4) Specifying package (type gem) on the *agent* like the example in the PR
link

I've also tried to add the confines logic as the PR says, however i still
get the missing load file. Here's the project i've been trying to update:

https://github.com/bstopp/puppet-aem/tree/feature/package-support
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fbstopp%2Fpuppet-aem%2Ftree%2Ffeature%2Fpackage-support&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEVN2uqq6gNPAWSX4Q-nD-_vzKGjg>

The provider is here:

https://github.com/bstopp/puppet-aem/blob/feature/package-support/lib/puppet/provider/aem_crx_package/ruby.rb