There are a number of reasons it's not a great idea to put them in the
module, but one is that if you start sticking binary artifacts into your
Puppet code, the size of the repos(s) will grow a lot and it will be much
slower to clone them. Also it's just not how people expect things to work.

Say you onboard a new member of your team and they need to deal with that
RPM -- your Puppet module is probably the last place they would ever look
for it. Beyond the technical reasons, I think this is an important one. The
less snowflakey you can make your automation, the easier it's going to be
for new folks to learn to work with it.

Lots of good suggestions in the thread: setting up a Yum repo, or using an
artifact repository like Artifactory or Nexus. At my last shop we used
Spacewalk:

http://spacewalk.redhat.com/

At my first job where I did Puppet like 4-5 years ago we had Solaris hosts
that used a lot of custom packages. We served those up with just a vanilla
HTTP server and used wget to pull them down in our Puppet code. Pretty ugly
but still better than checking them in with the modules themselves.

Whenever you can leverage your OS's native packaging system, you're going
to make it easier on yourself and your coworkers.

Rich