On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 11:40:26 AM UTC-4, Warron French wrote:

> Gleb, you are running a cronjob to control the interval at which your
> Puppet Clients are checking in?
>
> Did you know that you could instead use the option of *runinterval *within
> the /etc/puppet/puppet.conf file instead?
>
> In case you would like to see the help page on it, here:
> https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/3.8/configuration.html#runinterval

Speaking for myself, I run from cron because:

 * it means the daemon isn't running the rest of the time.
 * If the vmware farm reboots my servers en masse, I've potentially got
dozens of servers checking in simultaneously.
 * While upstart and systemd have made things easier, the older sysv style
init wasn't that good at keeping a service running if it crashed
    * I use puppet to ensure the right services are running

Although every 10 minutes seems a bit excessive-- If I need a server to run
more than twice an hour, I use mcollective to initiate a run.

I use fqdn_rand() to pick a consistent random number between 0-29, and
create a crontab entry that runs every "N" and "N+30" minutes.