Henrik,

Thanks for the feedback, while I wish there was a "better/native" way, I
have accepted that I need to write my own function.  I would like to be
able to use a similar syntax as "lookup()" and simply specify a filepath
and have the contents returned as the content of the file being created.  I
am fairly certain I can accomplish this, but I am not sure how I gain
access to the hiera scope or hierarchy that is defined by either the module
or the global/environment scope.  I want my custom module to be able to
search the hiera path(s) for the necessary file structure.  How would I go
about getting that scope into a custom function?  Thanks!