Yup - we are seeing similar problems.

After our client Amazon Linux boxes updated to latest OpenSSL (SL
1.0.2k-fips  26 Jan 2017) we now see

Error: SSL_read:: shutdown while in init

On puppet runs. Only way we could work around it was to perform a yum
rollback :(

--

*This email was sent by a company owned by Financial Times Group Limited
("FT Group <http://aboutus.ft.com/corporate-information/#axzz3rajCSIAt>"),
registered office at Number One Southwark Bridge, London SE1 9HL.
Registered in England and Wales with company number 879531. This e-mail may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify the sender immediately, delete all copies and do not
distribute it further.  It could also contain personal views which are not
necessarily those of the FT Group.  We may monitor outgoing or
incoming emails as permitted by law.*