On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 4:17:56 AM UTC-6, Brandon Blackmoor wrote:

> I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I am still a novice at
> Puppet. I have been asked if it is possible to use Puppet to find out if an
> application (apparmor, specifically) is installed on our various nodes
> (Ubuntu servers, specifically). The nodes are all running puppet agent and
> so on. We're currently running Puppet v2016.4.0.
>
> Feel free to point me to existing documentation. I did search first, but
> my search results either seemed irrelevant or involved way more than what I
> am actually asking for. I'm not looking to write a new module, for example.

If you're not using PE, or if the package inventory doesn't meet your
needs, then you always have the alternative of writing a custom fact
<https://puppet.com/docs/facter/3.9/custom_facts.html>. This will be
distributed automatically to nodes, which will evaluate the fact when they
make a catalog request, providing the result among all the other fact
values.  These will then be recorded in PuppetDB
<https://puppet.com/docs/puppetdb/5.1/api/query/v4/facts.html>, from which
you can query the results, and the values will be available during catalog
building as top-scope variables.

John