On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 2:58:14 PM UTC-5, jmp242 wrote:

> I'm using puppet 5.3.3 and had been using a previous version of my module
> for a long time. Now I added another package to my management and started
> getting an odd error:
> Failed to apply catalog: "\xF8\xDD" on UTF-16LE
>
> The actual underlying chocolatey packages install correctly. Any ideas
> what this error means? What I need to debug? I use Gepetto to author the
> edits and check into SVN... It almost sounds like a file format issue, but
> I don't know in Gepetto how to change / fix this.

The immediate problem appears to be that Puppet is complaining about
invalid character data, presumably in the catalog itself.  It is attempting
to interpret a piece of data as if it were text encoded according to
UTF-16LE, but the data contain an invalid byte sequence with respect to
that encoding (in particular, it looks like there is an unpaired surrogate).

Clearly something has gone wrong, more likely in your manifests than in
Puppet itself, but we don't have enough information to pinpoint what that
is.  As others have suggested, obtaining the --debug output from an agent
run would probably help clarify.  You could also consider searching your
manifests (on the master) for the two-byte sequence Puppet complains about
(represented as \xF8\xDD) or for the 3-byte UTF-8 encoding of that
surrogate code point (\xED\xB7\xB8).  Perhaps look for the byte-swapped
version, too: \xDD\xF8 and \xEF\xA3\x9D.

John