I had a bit of an unpleasant surprise today.  I discovered that my
puppetserver-based master seems unwilling to put reports or other varying
data where I tell it to do.

The docs <https://puppet.com/docs/puppetserver/5.3/configuration.html> say:

Puppet Server honors almost all settings in puppet.conf and should pick
> them up automatically. However, some Puppet Server settings differ from a
> Ruby Puppet master’s puppet.conf settings; we’ve detailed these differences
> [in the rest of the document].

That document makes no mention of the $vardir, $reportdir, or related
settings, and I don't see anything that appears to be about them in the
docs for the various puppetserver-specific config files, so I expect the
master to read my $vardir and / or $reportdir setting from puppet.conf, and
honor it.

I find instead that no matter whether I specify vardir and / or reportdir
in the [master] section or in the [main] section of puppet.conf,
puppetserver instead uses its default vardir,
/opt/puppetlabs/server/data/puppetserver, and a reportdir relative to
that.  This looks similar to SERVER-798
<https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/SERVER-798>, but that's pretty old,
and it was anyway closed as "cannot reproduce".  I'm seeing this issue on
the current latest puppet and puppetserver (5.5.1 and 5.3.1, respectively).

Am I missing something here?  That is, is there some other place to
configure these details?

John