Hi all, we've started landing changes for what will become Puppet Platform 6.
Here's the News You Can Use relating to the release.

Scope and Timeline
We expect to release it in the fall, and the major features of the release are
currently scoped to be:
- improved secret and ephemeral data handling through the use of a new API for
evaluating functions an the agent at catalog application time (more on this to
come, it's still pretty early in design)
- modularized types and providers;  things like the nagios types will live in
their own module and be included at packaging time. This will make it easier to
get changes into this code and opens the door to including more modules in
packages so, for example, you don't need to download stdlib separate from
puppet. Josh posted a PR to the specifications repo describing this approach
here: https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet-specifications/pull/106
- consolidate the CA code onto the clojure CA and provide 1st class support for
intermediate CA signing - this means the Ruby CA and tooling around it will
change in favor of a CLI that supports your actual workflow.  (PUP-7877 is the
epic to follow for this work)

Branches, Builds, and Repos
The upshot is that the 'master' branch of the main platform projects (puppetdb,
puppetserver, facter, puppet) will become the 6.0 versions of those projects,
and PRs that target master can contain larger changes - so things like
improving facter output, changing default settings for things that had
previously been opt-in, etc have a place to land.
In addition to automatic builds that go into the nightly repos, we're working
in iterations towards monthly milestones that contain completed features and
are ready for testing and feedback. As these come out, we'll post updates to
the mailing list describing the contents in more detail and would love for you
to try them out and let us know how it goes.
The release packages are up here for apt/yum systems:
yum: https://yum.puppet.com/puppet6-nightly/
apt: https://apt.puppet.com/puppet6-nightly/

and the direct download repos for mac, windows, and eos are here:
http://nightlies.puppet.com/downloads/

(Note that although the content of the agent packages in particular is being
built off what will become puppet 6, the version numbers won't reflect that
until it's tagged as such.)
Once the release is out, the 'puppet' repo and associated release package for
apt and yum will shift to 'puppet6'; the 'puppet5' repo/release package will
remain as-is so you can stay pinned to that until you're ready to move.

EOL / Lifecycle of Older versions
The 5.x versions are incorporated into the upcoming PE2018.1 LTS, so the
branches that feed into those versions will be open for changes. But they need
to be targeted bug fixes that won't introduce instability into the components,
so please be judicious when targeting non-master branches with your PRs.
The 4.x series (puppet-agent 1.10, puppet-server 2.8, etc) will be going EOL
towards the end of 2018. They're already on "deep LTS" mode and only critical
security fixes and hyper-targeted backports are landing on these branches.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I'm pretty excited about this
release; the slightly longer development timeline and milestone build process
should enable more interesting features and a smoother upgrade path.

--eric0