Hi,

> I don't fully understand Part 2: "2. You need any applicable resource-like
> declaration of class postgresql::server in the manifest set to not itself
> bind a value to the config_hash parameter."

You are probably declaring your class/resource setting default values for
parameters directly in the .pp file. This will override whatever you're
defining in Hiera. Just leave the declaration like

class foo:bar ( $param1, $param2='test' ) { ... }

In this way $param1 is considered mandatory, and if it's defined in hiera all
is good (the hiera value will be used). Rparam2 is optional, and will be
assigned the value 'test' no matter what hiera says - unless you instantiate
the class with that parameter explicitly set.

/Eirik