On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 2:34 PM Matt Zagrabelny <mzagr...@d.umn.edu> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm running puppet 5.5.6 (Debian testing.)
>
> I'm seeing some curious and inconsistent results from where I put config
> settings in /etc/puppet/puppet.conf. When I use the [master] heading, the
> "external_nodes" setting is read by the puppet master:
>
> # cat /etc/puppet/puppet.conf
> [master]
> node_terminus  = exec
> external_nodes = /opt/bin/my-enc
> # systemctl restart puppet-master.service
> # puppet config print external_nodes
> none
>
> However, if I remove the "master" section heading in the puppet.conf file,
> I get the results I expect:
>
> # cat /etc/puppet/puppet.conf
> node_terminus  = exec
> external_nodes = /opt/bin/my-enc
> # systemctl restart puppet-master.service
> # puppet config print external_nodes
> /opt/bin/my-enc
>
> Should I file a bug or is this somehow expected?

When your master run it uses only certain sections of the config file
(mainly "master" and "main"[1]), while config print will by default use the
section "main". You can use the `--section <section>` flag to act on a
specific section. If you don't specify a section in the puppet.conf the
setting will be applied to the "main" section.

eg `puppet config print --section master external_nodes` should give you
want you want.

HTH,
Justin

1.