Thanks Alex!

I have some messy execs to handle updating software from a bit bucket
repository (amongst other things).  I take it that would be a good candidate
for Bolt.

> On 8/01/2019, at 6:03 AM, Alex Dreyer <a...@puppet.com> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 6:04 PM Russell Fulton <russell.ful...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have not come across Bolt before and have been looking at the docs.  It
> certainly looks like something that I can use.  I am assuming that one
> installs Bolt on your puppet server?   But it really isn’t clear from the
> docs which seem to assume you already have the “big picture” of how it fits
> in with puppet.  The current doc assume a context I don’t have.
>
> Bolt is a standalone configuration management tool. If can be used with
> puppet infrastructure to handle orchestration across multiple nodes or ad hoc
> debugging/changes. It can also manage configuration on nodes that are not
> running the puppet agent or connected to a master. It's a command line tool
> with no long running service like puppet server so where you run it depends
> on your workflow. My general recommendation is to start with it installed on
> your workstation or laptop and later install it on a bastion or the puppet
> master only if you need to.

So yo get things going independent of Puppet and then integrate it.  Sounds
sensible.  I am trying hard to get all the configuration stuff in just one
place to make it easier for others to maintain so ultimately I want to drive it
all out of heira data which is generated by a ruby script from a bunch of json
files.   The system is a multi sensor IDS system running Suricata and Moloch
(and the associated Elasticsearch machines).

  I am using the organisation (major university) puppet server which I have no
direct access to and one (horribly bloated) module that gets loaded for my
machines.   We really should have the enterprise version but costs more that
folk are prepared to pay.  Such is life ;)