Welcome to the *first ever* Bolt developer update! This is a new experiment
we're trying to communicate more directly about what we're actively working
on and what we're thinking about in the near term.

This week, we released Bolt 1.28.0. The feature I want to highlight is the
new Vault plugin. This plugin allows you to query inventory information
(such as passwords) from HashiCorp Vault <https://www.vaultproject.io>.

As an example, this inventory snippet retrieves a private key from Vault
and uses it to connect to host.example.com.

targets:
  - host.example.com
config:
  ssh:
    user: root
    private-key:
      key-data:
        _plugin: vault
        server_url: http://127.0.0.1:8200
        auth:
          method: userpass
          user: bolt
          pass: bolt
        path: secrets/bolt
        field: private-key
        version: 2

Try out the plugin and let us know what you think.

*Up next*

Coming down the pipe, Alex posted a specification
<https://github.com/puppetlabs/bolt/issues/1125> for some refinements to
the Target/inventory API. Our aim with that is to standardize the
operations you can use within a plan to dynamically create, modify, and
regroup targets.

We've also started discussing extensions to the apply_prep() function to
make it possible to use custom agent install methods and alternate fact
sources. Please check out the current state of that proposal
<https://github.com/puppetlabs/bolt/issues/1123> and give feedback.

Speaking of feedback, please respond on this thread or in #bolt on Slack to
let us know what you think of this newsletter format. You can also view
this post on the web
<https://puppetlabs.github.io/bolt/2019-08-07-vault-target-api-apply-prep>.

Thanks!
The Bolt Team