On Wednesday, August 14, 2019 at 9:05:24 AM UTC-5, LinuxDan wrote:

> Your response makes perfect sense.  I am planning to use FreeIPA/Red Hat
> Identity Manager which uses SSSD to do everything you describe for your
> house.
>
> I want to be able to manage aspects of the user home directories for
> hardening purposes - permissions, no dot-netrc files, that sort of thing.

To the best of my knowledge and my ability to interpret the docs, User
resources don't provide for any such thing, nor are they a prerequisite for
such management.

> In your experience, is it possible for an LDAP-authenticating login to
> have a user resource at all ?  If not, I will have to consider a shotgun
> approach to the home-dir management.

It ought to be *possible*, but I don't think it would be *useful* for a
system with an effectively read-only user database.

If your idea is to have a list of users for each machine under management,
then User resources do not advance that objective -- it is easier and
better to represent a prescriptive user list in external data, and if you
want to expose that for use by multiple classes then a class variable will
serve that purpose nicely (and in fact, I do exactly that).  If you're
looking instead for an adaptive list, of users who are observed to have
home directories on the system, say, then a custom fact is definitely the
way to go.

I note, however, that although I know and manage which users are authorized
to log in to each of my machines, I do not manage the permissions on or
contents of their home directories.

John