Yes agreed, there are two issues on that:
https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/SERVER-1717 and
https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-7102. We tried to fix it earlier,
but had to revert due to acceptance test failures. The need for world
readable (or changing the owner or group to puppet) is because puppetserver
runs as the puppet user.

--
Josh Cooper | Software Engineer
j...@puppet.com | @coopjn