So, I set the password manually with passwd and got an entirely different
hash than when I use the pw_hash function. The salt is obviously different
as well, but the rest of /etc/shadow entry is the same. ssh user@localhost
works with the password when I set manually with passwd, and does not work
with pw_hash - not surprisingly.

I tried lowercase sha-512, and got the same hash as with uppercase SHA-512.
Both methods (working manual passwd, and non working pw_hash) start with
$6$ which implies a sha-512 hash from the docs, so I think pw_hash is just
broken for EL7. Which means the user resource is broken.

I guess temporarily, I'll just set the hash as a string and generate it
with passwd, and see if that works - but it's obviously not ideal.