VERSION 2.30.0

*in this release*

✨  *new features*

   - Bolt can now manage your project's module dependencies for you using
   the bolt module command. Project configuration files can now list a
   project's module dependencies under a new modules key, which allows Bolt
   to resolve module dependencies and versions for you using the bolt
   module install command. You can also quickly add new modules and their
   dependencies to your project with the bolt module add command.

   To learn more about enabling module management in your project, see the
   documentation <https://pup.pt/bolt-modules>. You can also read about why
   we developed this feature in the Bolt developer updates
   <https://puppet.com/docs/bolt/latest/developer_updates.html>.

   - You can now make HTTP requests from the Bolt CLI or in a plan using
   the new http_request task that ships with Bolt. To learn more about this
   task, see the documentation
   <https://forge.puppet.com/puppetlabs/http_request>.

🔧  *bug fixes*

   - The bolt project init --modules command now correctly shows missing
   modules and transitive dependencies when resolving modules. Previously, if
   a module or a module's dependency could not be found, Bolt would not show
   the name of the missing module.
   - Invalid YAML plans now error gracefully. Previously, if a YAML plan
   was formatted incorrectly, Bolt would show a stack trace with an obscure
   error.

VIEW FULL RELEASE NOTES
<https://github.com/puppetlabs/bolt/blob/main/CHANGELOG.md>

*in the works*

   - Work continues on adding threading capabilities to plans.
   - Errors originating from plan runs will soon show the path of the plan
   that errored with the line that caused the error. While some types of
   errors already include this information, others do not.
   - The new module management feature will soon support git modules.
   Currently, the feature only supports modules from the Puppet Forge.

*nuts and bolts*

Each month, we'll highlight a different Bolt feature and cover the details
of what it is, why you might want to use it, and how it can be used in your
workflows.

October's highlighted feature is: *module management*!

*What is the module management feature?*

Starting with Bolt 2.30.0, Bolt can manage your project's module
dependencies for you. By adding your project's direct dependencies to the
project configuration file, Bolt will be able to resolve all transitive
dependencies and version requirements, generate a Puppetfile, and install
the modules.

*Why should I have Bolt manage my project's modules?*

Using the module management feature greatly simplifies the process of
installing and adding new modules to your project. Instead of needing to
locate all of a module's dependencies, find compatible versions for each
module, and manually updating your Puppetfile, you can offload this work to
Bolt. All you need to do is list the modules you care about in your project
configuration file and Bolt will take care of the rest!

*How do I start managing my project's modules with Bolt?*

To have Bolt manage your project's module dependencies, you'll need to
enable the feature by updating your project. We've made this process easy
by updating the bolt project migrate command and
Update-BoltProject Powershell cmdlet, which will guide you through the
process of selecting which of your project's modules are direct
dependencies and set up your project to use the new module management
feature.

The module management feature includes several new Bolt commands, changes
to Bolt's default configuration, and a few other changes as well. To get
the most out of this feature, make sure to check out the documentation!

VIEW THE DOCUMENTATION <https://pup.pt/bolt-modules>
[image: Tw] <https://twitter.com/puppetize> [image: Yt]
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPfMWIY-qNbLhIrbZm2BFMQ> [image: In]
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/puppet/>