On Monday, October 26th, 2020 we will be updating the `forge.puppet.com`
and `forgeapi.puppet.com` DNS records (as well as the legacy `
forge.puppetlabs.com` and `forgeapi.puppetlabs.com` records) to point to a
new IPv4 address. This change is being made as part of ongoing work to
improve the performance and reliability of the Forge website and API
service.

The new IP address is `192.69.65.71`. This address is already functional
and you can configure Puppet to use it
<https://forgeapi.puppet.com/#section/Hostname-Configuration> via the
temporary hostname `forgeapi-new.puppet.com`. We recommend only using this
hostname only for testing purposes, please keep your primary configurations
pointed to the default hostname.

We realize that some users have to make firewall exceptions so that their
clients can access the Puppet Forge which is why we are pre-announcing this
change. To help facilitate a smooth transition, the Forge website and API
service will continue to be available on the old IP address until at least
Monday, November 9th, 2020.

Users that need to access Forge via the old IP may configure Puppet to use
the temporary hostname
<https://forgeapi.puppet.com/#section/Hostname-Configuration> `
forgeapi-old.puppet.com`. Note that this DNS record will be updated to
point to the new IP once the old IP is deactivated. Please be sure to make
any necessary updates to your firewall configurations before November 9th,
2020.

The Forge API will continue to be available via IPv6
<https://headwayapp.co/puppet-forge-updates/new-ipv6-enabled-hostname-forgeapi-cdn-puppet-com-145162>
(as
well as IPv4 but on a dynamic set of addresses) through the alternate
hostname `forgeapi-cdn.puppet.com` with no changes.

This is the first time in approximately 5 years that we have changed the
Forge IP address.

If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at fo...@puppet.com.
Thank you.