Thanks Pete for putting this together! Some comments below:

On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 12:33 AM Peter Meier <peter.me...@immerda.ch> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> > Tomorrow morning (~9am Pacific) we'll be updating the rolling 'puppet'
> > repos to point to the new 'puppet7' release from a couple of weeks ago.
> > If you're already using the 'puppet' release packages (such
> > as http://yum.puppetlabs.com/puppet-release-el-7.noarch.rpm
> > <http://yum.puppetlabs.com/puppet-release-el-7.noarch.rpm>), your repos
> > will start pointing to puppet7 tomorrow.
>

> Anybody having VMs / Baremetals / ... using VLANs: You will run into a
> regression with Facter 4 that will stop puppet 7 from working on these
> machines:
>
> https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/FACT-2870
>
> The fix is there, but there is no release yet containing the fix. So
> it's worth holding these machines of from being updated on the rolling
> repos.

All resolved issues should be available in nightly puppet7 builds, such as
http://nightlies.puppet.com/yum/puppet7-nightly-release-el-8.noarch.rpm.
It'd be great to get confirmation in the next few days that these issues
are in fact fixed.

Also all puppet6 builds include facter4 as an opt-in feature, so you can
try it out before upgrading to puppet7:

# puppet --version
6.19.1
# puppet facts find | grep facter
    "facterversion": "3.14.14",
# puppet config set facterng true --section main
# puppet facts find | grep facter
    "facterversion": "4.0.43",

> Additionally, there are a couple of regressions regarding how networking
> facts are being reported by Facter 4:
>
> https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/FACT-2871
> https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/FACT-2872
>
> If you are depending on these facts in your manifests (e.g. in a
> condition), it might be the case that puppet will do something
> differently. I suggest checking your manifests for the usage of these
> facts.
>
> I didn't check the bug tracker thoroughly for other regressions, but I
> have seen a few more. So it might worth looking into it, as regressions
> in fact reporting can have unintended side-effects.

We've started adding a 'platform_7.1' label to keep track of these, see
https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/issues/?jql=labels%20%3D%20platform_7.1

> And really only cosmetic wise, you get a bunch of warnings in puppet 7
> for the user and exec types:
>
> https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/MODULES-10876
> https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-10790
>
> They are not really an issue, but might affect you if you are parsing
> the output. E.g. filtering cron output -> cron emails are sent out with
> these alerts.
>
> Other than that: Puppet 7 runs smoothly, be sure to re-install your
> gems, as it switches to Ruby 2.7
>
> best
>
> ~pete

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-dev/354bd76b-c85c-3026-9906-b7c3d20adf3b%40immerda.ch