I posted on the GitHub issue, but I'll TL;DR it here for future searchers:

I recommended setting the `module` parameter to `netbios-ns` which is in
line with how RedHat recommended fixing the underlying firewall issue.
It's probably just a case of differences between RHEL 7 and RHEL 8, and the
documentation not perfectly reflecting that.