In regard to: Re: [Puppet Users] Can I store RPM's on the Puppet Server to...:

I would not choose an Exec resource type as the method to install RPM
packages from vendors, be it RPMs on a local filesystem or served by
HTTPS-based repo.
You can and have the ability to keep the OS Packages (RPM/DEB) on the PE
host machine like you can store any files on the PE host. But I would not
check-in the RPMs to be stored in the version control system repository
where the Puppet code and Hiera lives.
Instead the general wisdom is that Linux OS Packages (RPM or DEB) that are
not in a proper repository, should then be placed into a proper package
repository. This way it can be referred to as a Package resource type like
any other normal installable package, in this case an RPM via YUM.

+1 to everything James said.

Creating a local repo for RPMs is very easy.  If you have a Linux system
that's running a web server, you're most of the way there already.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /