Dear Puppet Users,

until now, I have been using Puppet in firewalled environments only, where
agents were on the same trusted network as the server or connected through
VPN tunnels.

Now there seem to be some good reaons for switching to a "perimeterless
security" approach, which would mean to drop the VPN and put the Puppet
Server on the public internet. In my special case, I could not even do any
IP-based filtering.

I could not really find any good material or recommendations on this. Is
this a discouraged/dangerous practice, or is it more common than I was
assuming?

The basic approach of mutual, certificate-based authentication in Puppet
seems to perfectly support this scenario, and comes with encryption built
in. And yes, of course I would _not_ enable certificate autosigning.

Are there other risks to be aware of? Any recommendations on hardening the
setup?

Maybe I am a bit sceptical because a component like Puppet Server has not
received the scrutinity as e. g. an Apache or Ngnix webserver regarding
potential attack surfaces and security issues. The sensitive information a
compromised Puppet Server might leak cannot be ignored.

Would it make sense to place the Puppet Server behind a major
webserver/proxy (Apache, Varnish etc.)? Would it be possible to reject all
connections that do not provide client certificates and use some
out-of-band process for signing new client certs?

Thank you for all suggestions!
-mp.