On 19/05/11 18:31, Elmer Kilred wrote:
Dear Puredyne crafters,

I have a 9.11 version of Purdyne i386&  i686 (86_64) and for some reason the boot for both versions is asking
me for a challenge and password. I type in; "lintian" and then "live" and then it does not
boot, but goes to; "(~) % _" Above it mentions something about Ubuntu and no warranty.

Ok, that means it booted and you logged in after the graphical windowing system "X" failed to start for some reason. You can see if there are any errors in the log file by typing this at the % prompt after you log in in text mode:

grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log

There may also be some warnings:

grep WW /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If it's possible, it would help us debug the issue if you could send the contents of "Xorg.0.log" (to see errors from the X windowing system) and the output of "dmesg" (to see any kernel messages when booting) as well as the output of "sudo lspci -vvv" (to see exactly what hardware you have there).

I understand it might be tricky to send this stuff without X running, unless you're familiar with ssh/sftp and so on probably the easiest way would be to copy it to a usb drive and from there to a machine that does boot up ok.

Something like this process:

(plug in usb drive, wait 10 seconds)
dmesg | tail
(should see something about new usb drive sdc: sdc1 sdc2 or similar,
 use the corresponding name in the below where sdc1 is mentioned)
mkdir usb-drive/
sudo mount /dev/sdc1 usb-drive/
(if it complains about a filesystem type, try
 sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 usb-drive
)
cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log usb-drive/
sudo lspci -vvv > usb-drive/lspci.txt
dmesg > usb-drive/dmesg.txt
sudo umount usb-drive/
(wait until prompt reappears before unplugging)

I can get into some sort of root by typing; "sudo su" but I have no idea of how
to get this thing to remember that it is a live CD and boot.

Looks like it has a Xeon processor, which should be compatible with the 64bit "amd64" version.

Thanks for the report, I hope we can figure this problem out,

Claude

This is a new used computer I own.

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?brand=5000004&lndocid=MIGR-58662

(It was used to design aircraft... 747's and things of that nature.)
Windows XP pro works.
Windows XP pro 64 bit works

Puredyne live works great on all my other computers. Starts right up. The 383
works almost flawlessly on both my laptops. 686 does nothing.

The 383 version of puredyne is recognized as 686 on the workstation. Both
versins react identical. It identifies the computer as an 86_64.

I'm not too sure what to do at this point yet to get it to boot... Maybe you
could  toss some suggestions my way to see if we can get it to boot...

Thanks,
Elmer

---
Puredyne@goto10.org