grant centauri said :
> oh, and if you have time i'm trying to understand hooks.  i see a few bugs
> like "add sgfxi via hook" and i'm still unsure of how hooks work.  i've been
> trying to dig and get it, but its not clicking yet.  points to resources
> would be good.  i've looked at a couple of the included hooks, but i'm not
> sure what they do, and when they occur, and so on.

hooks are executable shell scripts that are called:
- while the system is being installed from scratch (chroot hooks)
- once the system is installed, packaged and ready to be turned into an
  ISO (binary hooks).

We use hooks for lots of things as you can see in the folders.
The most important for us are the chroot hooks that are executed as root
within the chroot once the base system and the packages (from
packagelists) have been installed.

"add sgfxi via hook" was requested because:
- we need to bundle sgfxi for handling video cards installs
- sgfxi is not packaged and not really worth packaging (it's a script
  regularly updated that also check for its latest version when
executed)
- so we will add it to the system using a hook, that could be as simple
  as:

---------------
#!/bin/sh
# sgfxi install hook

wget -O /usr/sbin/sgfxi http://smxi.org/sgfxi
chmod +x /usr/sbin/sgfxi
---------------
(untested!)

If you need to test such a hook the best is to already have built
Puredyne copy the hook in the chroot and chroot inside, then try to run
it, if it does what you want, then it is ready to be added.

a.
--
http://su.kuri.mu

---