ailo said :
> On 05/23/2011 12:15 AM, Aymeric Mansoux wrote:
> >> The 2.6.39 kernel, as you may know, will support the use of rtirq-init
> >> script to raise priority for audio devices. For Ubuntu Natty, the kernel
> >> used is now 2.6.38.
> >> Reliability with low latencies across many systems may need to be
> >> determined, but it seems to do ok.
> >
> > Is there a PPA to test these kernels?
> >

> Here is the PPA we have been using for testing linux-lowlatency on Natty.
>
> ppa:abogani/ppa
>
> This PPA may disappear soon, but there will be a PPA with a
> linux-lowlatency kernel for 11.10 within a few weeks that supports
> forced irq-threading. (>2.6.38)
> The kernel is a standard Ubuntu kernel, with a few different configs.
>
> I'm hoping linux-lowlatency will end up in the main repo by the time
> 11.10 is released.

Thanks for the info!

> However, there is an ambition to create a live image for Ubuntu Studio.
> That task has not been properly started yet to my knowledge and is not
> planned for any specific release. Don't know what would be needed in
> order to adopt that to Ubuntu Studio, but in my view Puredyne's way of
> making a live image could just as well be the basis for how it's done
> for Ubuntu Studio.

Puredyne is built with broth which is a wrapper for Debian Live tools.
broth is AGPLv3, patches welcome, fork at will etc ;)

Otherwise I think a lot of Ubuntu based live distro do not actually
build the system from scratch but use some sort of "remix" tools that
make a snapshot of their current setup and turn that into a live
version.

> On the kernel bit it might be interesting to have more people testing it
> to find out how well it performs.
> We're going to write a script to compare -lowlatency with -generic.
> -generic has been performing quite well, but from doing only a few
> tests, -generic seems to work well on only some hardware, while
> -lowlatency is comparable or better than an -rt kernel.
> The tests have been very simple, so there may be something we are missing.

Can you tell us when such a script is available?

a.
--
http://su.kuri.mu

---