At Sun, 5 Jun 2011 00:49:00 -0300,
Bernardo Barros wrote:

> 2011/6/4 grant centauri <gcenta...@gmail.com>:
> >  i don't think
> > firefox works with jack AFAIK, and flash
> > is going to be out of the picture.
> >

> I have no problems listening to youtube/flash videos with jack,
> without pulseaudio installed in arch.
> I'd have to check it again, but I think it's one of alsa-plugins (or
> alsa-tools?) that can expose alsa applications as jack clients.
> It's a much simpler solution then inserting pulseaudio in between.

This, btw, was not an option for me because I also needed to pipe audio into
virtualbox (to run Dragon NaturallySpeaking without it crashing as it would
under wine). Virtualbox basically only supports pulseaudio. (At least, I
remember getting the very strong impression from their support forum that the
developers were only interested in pulseaudio and that other audio backends
were, at best, second thoughts and more likely to be buggy and ignored. So
pulse was the best way for me to go.) It took a while to set up all the
pulse-jack stuff, but now it works seamlessly. And, of course, I have the
option of starting up only jack (no pulse) for a live performance.

hjh

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
jamshar...@dewdrop-world.net