Here's something simple I think Aymeric showed me once:

sudo cat /dev/mem > /dev/dsp

this should be writing raw data from the ram (?) directly to the audio
device.

I played around with generating pitch by filling a file with various
patterns of 0's and 1's and then cat file > /dev/dsp .  It follows what
you'd expect. 010101010101 generated a pitch an octave above
0011001100110011.

/dev/mem sounds pretty great right now.

/dev/urandom generates noise, though I'm not sure what kind.  Anyone have an
idea about it?

Regular files are a specific length and will be the same every time, as long
as they aren't modified.  Listening to a pdf right now that has some nice
spots.

Is this what you're talking about?  What different ways are there to get
this into a signal chain?  I'm not familiar with gstreamer.

Perhaps there's a way to read a file at an audio rate and use its data to
fill a wavetable in Puredata, or something like that.

Just some thoughts.  No specific solution.

-grant