If I would have thought things through a bit better, I would just have built a couple of NAS4Free boxes instead of using Synology.

Gerald

On 2015-09-29 07:08 AM, Gerald Brandt wrote:
Hi,

I know it's not recommended, but is anyone running NAS4Free in a VM with ZFS?

I use it to create user directories with fixed quotas and share them over CIFs. Each user has there own dataset and the dataset is shared.

The Proxmox VM is using direct sync cache mode on the NAS3Free disk. I do backup and snapshot daily, so data loss will be minimized if anything bad happens. I also turned off any scrubs on the pool. I used to do them nightly, but read somewhere it wasn't recommended in a virtual environment.

The NAS4Free disk is on an NFS file server with its own RAID6 and DRBD setup (Synology).

It's been really stable, and I'm considering putting some more critical data on it.

Gerald