On 11.03.2020 08:55, Alwin Antreich wrote:
Hello Renato,

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 07:35:21AM +0100, Renato Gallo via pve-user wrote:
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 07:35:21 +0100 (CET)
From: Renato Gallo <ren...@aster-lab.com>
To: pve-user@pve.proxmox.com
Cc: g noto <g.n...@way-interactive.com>
Subject: lzo files conundrum

Hello,

we have two machines same system 100 Gb of virtual disk both have the disks on
a zfspool.
from the df -h point of view the disks use is quite similar.
we backup those machine regularly during the weekend using the scheduled backup
of proxmox from the datastore menu.
we cannot understand why one machine have a .lzo file of 9.something gigas and
the other has a backup .lzo file of around 40 gigas.
can you explain this to us ?
Possibly thin-provisioning.

In the storage definition the _Thin provision_ needs to be set, to
create thin-provisioned zVOLs from the start. And OFC, you will need to
have the VM disks setup with SCSI and discard on to run a TRIM inside
the VM.

you can also run fstrim from inside the vm to manually trim filesystems.

Ronny