Hi Pete,

> Yes, that fixes the crash, thanks!  But it is indeed off-by-one:

Thanks for the update! I will follow up on this now and see if I can spot
something obvious.

> But I don't see your debugging statements in the logs when I turn on
> verbose on the client; weird.  Server logs attached too just in case those
> are interesting.

Oh yes. I forgot to send you the changes I made to pvfs2-debug.h and
pvfs2-debug.c to have a keyword-debug mask "decode" for printing
GOSSIP_ENDECODE_DEBUG which does not have such a keyword currently nor is
it part of __DEBUG_ALL!

> Yours looks fine, but a bit more direct would be to remove the existing
> skip4 and let the fs_id and enum nestle together in a single 64-bit
> word.  It didn't break anything on ia64 (modified patch attached.)

Oh. I keep forgetting that fs_id is a 32 bit type. thanks for pointing it
out.. Is an enum type always guaranteed to be a 32-bits or do we need to
enforce it with an int32_t/uint32_t?

> There are other unrelated unaligned problems that have cropped up in
> the past few months that I'll take a look at, though.

Thanks! I will let you know if I find anything.
Murali