On Sep 13, 2006, at 12:39 PM, Pete Wyckoff wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:29 -0500:
It needs the PVFS2_translate_mode function at least (kernel/ linux-2.6/
pvfs2-util.c calls it).  Even though we don't have any shared source
files right now, I don't see any reason why we couldn't.  Could the
makefile just list a relative path to a pvfs2-shared.c source file
in ../../common/misc?

But I expect both kernel and client build want to create a .o file
for that single source file.  You'd have to add some special rule
to make sure those don't collide, or do symlink magic, both of which
are icky.  It's not so huge that having two copies is a big deal.
And not like we'll add any more perm bits in the near future.

Its getting copied then.

You could always do the super icky #include <somefile.c> to pull it
into two otherwise empty compilation units, if this duplication
really bothers you.

Or you can do like the endecode stuff.  In the C files that need it,
define __NEED_PVFS_TRANSLATE_MODE.  Then in the header file, leave
the function as is (minus the inline) and wrap it with an #ifdef so
that only the two compilation units (some kernel C file and some
user C file) that need the definition, get it.  All others just get
a declaration.

Speaking of icky... ;-)

-sam

                -- Pete